Today was interesting. I stared out with a walk in the cool air with my dog, then returned home for a pilates DVD and some tasty overnight oats.

Last night I combined: 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup milk, 1/3 cup mashed sweet potato, ½ cup greek yogurt

This morning I added: almonds, cinnamon, Kashi Autumn Wheat

I walked to school, then had my coffee and a banana at my desk.

Lunch was leftovers.

Grilled chicken breast and flax-encrusted sweet potato balls

Snack was something Meeker brought home from work…a new protein bar!

Taste wise: I’m a big fan. Stats wise: 240 calories, 13 g protein, 28g carbs, 8g fat – not bad at all.

I also had an apple sometime today and some craisins after school.

Dinner is still undetermined because I’m still at school – at my after school job of answering the phone. After my walk home, honestly all I want to do is lay on the couch and crash. Why?? Glad you asked…

In the 3rd grade world…

Today was field day. So much fun for the kids and teachers (at least I think so!). However it absolutely wears the kids out. Mine were practically asleep when they came inside after lunch. I tried to fill the afternoon with quiet(ish) activities that didn’t require too much critical thinking. However, 2:15pm struck, and it was like someone decided to play a cruel joke on us…

We had a power surge.

The electricity in the building went out.

No lights. No phones. No computers. No intercom system. Just a dark building with more than 500 tired (cranky) kiddos.

My students thought it was a zombie attack. I heard that second grade thought the school was being robbed. Many thought that a tornado had struck nearby.

An added bonus was that I have a student who has seizures. Blinking lights are bad for this student, and when the power surge was ensuing, it was like a disco club in the school. Literally every overhead light in our hallway/classrooms turned into a strobe. I was desperately trying to find my seizure student and cover his eyes and calm him down – and he was not having it. So, I ended up taking my class outside for an enormous game of duck, duck, goose.

When we returned to the building, the children were instructed to pack up their belongings (in the dark?!) and go to the gym (which had light). So…we attempted to individually dismiss the kids for carpool as over 500 of them sat on the floor of a gym. Our only tools were shushing teachers, and a single bullhorn.

The hilarity/difficulty of keeping over 500 kids SILENT (on a Friday afternoon, after field day, when there are two school days left) is inexplicable.

On the upside. I have TWO days of school left. One. Two.

Pin It!